This page is here in hopes of helping somone else avoid having to go through what i did in figuring it all out.(–chr0n1c)
The Pickit2 USB Programmer WILL generate the required voltages for HVP programming of the chip.
It is possible to program your midibox core pic chip with this adapter and a Pickit2 from Microchip by following these steps.
1. BUILD THIS ICSP ADAPTER
In order to do HVP with this circuit, you will need to short the jumper going to pin 38 of the pic18f452.
…will insert my schematic screenshot here when i can get the uploader to work.
until then it's attached to these forum posts: http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,10877.0.html http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,10500.0.html
2. PLUG IN YOUR PICKIT2 TO YOUR PC VIA USB.
3. CONNECT THE PICKIT2 TO THE ADAPTER YOU BUILT IN STEP 1. pin one of the pickit2 is the pin marked with a small triangle,
align this with your adapters icsp header's pin one.
4. INSERT YOUR PIC18f452 IN THE ADAPTER'S IC SOCKET.
pin 1 of the ic socket will be connected to pin 1 on the pickit2 for a ref. point.
5. start the pickit2 upload app.
you should already have installed this from your pickit2 CD.
6. load the most current bootloader file
LINK TO THE MIOS DOWNLOADS PAGE: http://www.ucapps.de/mios_download.html
7. CLICK THE UPLOAD HEX FILE BUTTON IN THE PICKIT2 APP.
8. once the software tells you it's done, click verify.
9. PULL THE CHIP FROM THE PROGRAMMING ADAPTER AND INSERT IT TO YOUR MBHP_CORE.
10. from here, there is plenty of other documents on the wiki describing the next steps…
other forum posts that were helpful in this research…
http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,11754.0.html -- discussion of me starting to build a MBHP_CORE http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,9831.0.html - discussion about HVP versus LVP http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php/topic,10050.0.html - another discussion about HVP versus LVP